What is the purpose of a set of guidelines to live by?
You can use them to build your foundation of knowledge. Because society requires each of us to know the difference between acceptable and unacceptable behavior.
To move past your challenges, it’s useful to follow some type of example. Remember that this isn’t a one-size cure-all, but it will help you to make better decisions.
Let’s get started with 25 questions.
1) Do you currently experience happiness or joy doing anything? If yes make a list, if no, go on to the next question.
2) Do you know what you want to do with the rest of your life? If yes, what is your plan to achieve it, if no ask yourself why haven’t you been able to come up with a plan to get it?
3) Do you feel like the world owes you anything? If yes, what and why? If no, go to the next question.
4) Do you feel that you owe it to yourself to do anything special? If yes list those things, write down everything you can about it, and why? If no, ask yourself why?
5) Do you have any interests that consume your time?
If yes, what are they, how often do you do them, how much does it cost you, what would it mean if you stopped doing them or started doing them, is this something you could make a living doing?
If no, then brainstorm so that you can come up with a few things you wish you could learn, wish you had the chance to experience, or if money was no object what would you spend your time enjoying?
6) Do you have any skills, abilities, talents, weird things you can perform or anything you have seen others doing that looks like you could learn to do? If yes, what are they, if no, what do you do with your alone time?
7) What makes you the most excited? Payday, vacations, new video games, the birth of a child, family reunions, exercising, the opposite sex, same-sex, being outdoors, fixing things, helping other people?
8) How creative are you? 1/3 of the world labels themselves as not very creative. Would you like to develop that skill?
9) Do you feel inferior to other people? If yes, about what? If no, are you certain? Think really hard about it for a while.
10) Are you an introvert, extravert, or ambivert?
11) Do you make friends easily, average, or don’t want to make any friends?
12) On a scale of 1-10, how worthy do you think you are about achieving success? Do you know what success is?
13) Where do you live, by yourself, with roommates, with family, with friends, out of your vehicle?
14) What bad habits do you have? Do you drink, smoke, use drugs?
15) How attractive do you think you are 1-10? Can you picture somebody of both sexes that is a 10 and the same for a 1 as well as a 5?
16) How quick of a learner would you say that you are? Good at taking tests? Why or why not?
17) What would you say makes you unique? What about you is special or what can your presence mean to somebody else?
18) Are you an optimist, pessimist, or annoyed by this question?
19) What are you grateful for in your life?
20) What motivates you to take action?
21) Is there anything you feel you can teach to others that would benefit their lives?
22) How much is your life worth to you?
23) Do you prefer to see a good movie, eat a delicious meal, or listen to your favorite songs?
24) What do you think the world needs more of? Or needs less of?
25) If you had to make a choice between spending time with a saint, a psychiatrist, a billionaire, or a dating expert which would you pick and why? ( You can do this in several ways 1) Rank them in order 2) Use a percentage based on 100 3) Assign them hours based on 10 4) Or use a dollar amount out of $1k.
That was simply round one of the questions you can use to start to get to know yourself better. Feel free to write them down in a journal and keep them for use as you gain more insight into yourself.
15 Guidelines That Everyone Should Follow…
Regardless of whether you agree or not, these should be among the criteria you use when you start to make a self-evaluation of where you are, and where you want to get.
1) Decide what you want to do with your life, with your time, with your energy and come up with a way to start doing those things. This means you will likely need to make a couple of lists about the things you want, and the things that you don’t want. i.e.
What are the dreams you have about your future, do you see things that you can buy, learn, discover, invent, create, collaborate with others to obtain, or anything that comes to mind when you see yourself alive and well in twenty years from now.
2) Learn what an irrational thought is, which can also be called a limiting thought, irrational idea, false belief, limiting belief or a lie that you have been told. These can be from things you read, watch, find, hear from others, see listed on a sign, found in a faq, come from a religion, a teacher, a parent, guru, or any other authority figure you may encounter.
3) Discover where you are the strongest and the weakest in your life now. What do you already know you do better than most people, what do you do okay at, and what are your weakest areas? i.e. You love your career but need to work on family or love your passion but you procrastinate too often.
4) Identify whether or not you battle an inferiority complex. This is different than to just experience times where you feel inadequate because of the person or people who you are comparing yourself to.
5) Learn about labels that are different than what you find on a product’s packaging. This is about the names you recognize about yourself such as being stupid, being ugly, being boring or not being funny. i.e. calling yourself shy, socially anxious, chronically depressed or any psychological disorder. It’s very difficult to change how you see yourself when you place these kinds of labels on who you are.
6) Learn CBT or Cognitive Behavioral Therapy because that is one method that will help to remove the irrational thoughts. Not only is it a method of tracking your inner dialogue but it will help you to change from believing in anything that is not a fact or the truth.
7) Start learning about self-hypnosis and meditation so that you can recover from stress and become more capable of relaxing. Both of these are techniques that will help you tremendously start to improve in every single area of your life.
There are many different relaxation methods available that you can learn as well. The main ones are deep breathing, visualizations, counting down from 10, 20, or 100.
8) Learn about setting goals, time management, self-discipline. These are the areas that will help you to create a plan of action and build a schedule that you can follow. When you start to do this you will be able to follow it and to start improving the areas of your life that you want to change.
9) Practice Active listening so that you aren’t always inside your own mind trying to predict what somebody is trying to say. This includes learning about body language, facial expressions, hand gestures and any forms of communication that you aren’t already great at.
10) Understand or learn about self-pity so that you can prevent yourself from feeling worthless. This is something you can overcome when you learn to practice using the previous guidelines. Knowledge about self-pity and how to avoid the pitfalls will be important so that you can develop a clear self-identity.
11) Understand or learn about self-sabotage so that you can overcome and prevent yourself from wasting your time and effort. Whether you know it or not your mind will create emotions that lead you to feel certain ways when this is out of your control everything you do can be for nothing.
12) Changing your belief system and what you allow to influence the decisions you make. This also determines your vision of the future, what you see about yourself, about others, and will strongly decide on your motivation.
13) Change who you listen to, who you interact with, and find people that match your values and beliefs. This can mean the difference between overcoming all of your false beliefs or making no changes so that you will continue suffering.
14) Change your daily habits and routines around to be more flexible. You will find times that doing the exact same things are getting you nowhere fast. In order to start to see things in a different light, you need to read more, write more, listen more, ask better questions and find those like-minded people to have a discussion with.
15) Become assertive so that you aren’t depriving yourself of any basic needs, wants, desires, emotions, or feelings. This will also help you to overcome being too nice and trying to people, please.
There are a lot of different things you will need to start doing because it’s not unusual for you to be headed in the wrong direction. Take a minute and start to see which of these things you should start working on right now.
Additional Guidelines That Will Make You More Valuable
In the first list, you learn what each one is and then start to make it a part of your daily routines as soon as you can. Some will be more important than others depending on where you are in your life right now.
If you are experiencing quite a few obstacles it’s gonna take more time to make the appropriate changes. That is why I have also put together this list of secondary skills you can include later on.
Because I believe that it’s better to see the entire process before you get started in one area, I also want to mention I am currently studying life coaching.
I have already gained certification and am proud to announce that as I gain more experience I will be more available to assist those of you who would like to take advantage of another option.
Here is the list of secondary guidelines:
1) Specialization – This means you focus on one or two key areas that you know people will need solutions to their problems from an expert. This will not only help you to achieve more confidence it’s also a very essential role that you can play that not many others will be offering.
*Did you know I also study SEO which is used to rank website content. Not only that but I can offer assistance with the entire process of building your very own website and to get all of the essential things done for it to become monetized.
2) Prioritize learning one new thing each day – Before your mind can be a solid ally, you must understand how it works and what it needs from you. Besides specialization, you want to be as well versed in any other areas that you can so that you will be able to improve your communication skills.
*Did you know that you can improve your self-worth by being versatile in all areas of conversation?
3) Learn to be courageous – This will help you start to overcome all the fears that you may need to overcome. CBT can help you get past the anxiety you are feeling when a scary situation arises, but having courage will help you do the rest.
4) Set aside a time each day to do reflections – This can be in a journal, with a blog, on a video, or something else. But make sure you dedicate that time to look over your biggest problems. When you start to eliminate new things from becoming buried or ignored, you will gain more focus and realize there are fewer stressors placed on yourself.
5) Be creative once a day and let things go – I wrote about the release technique in one of my blog posts, but do you truly understand the point of it?
When you make an effort to experience fewer expectations it helps you to relieve stress. Start doing something where the results aren’t important and see how useful it is to practice doing that in other areas of your life.
6) Read, write, and watch or listen to more inspirational stories – This can also include music, movies, poems, and video games but the point is to give yourself extra energy and to stimulate your mind more.
7) Find a few mentors – It’s not a difficult task to study what somebody else believes, values, does, has made their life purpose. When you do this it’s even possible to work one-on-one with somebody who has exactly what you want to achieve. Get used to asking other people for help because the worst thing that will happen is that they say no or ask what is in it for them?
8) Take better care of yourself – There are quite a few ways to exercise the mind, the body, and the spirit and when you are working closer to optimal levels, you will find everyday tasks become the simplest things to do.
9) Explore new things, Experiment in new ways, and challenge what anyone claims – The idea is to understand as much as you can but to only allow the truth into your mind. When you challenge things you become more capable of listing the reasons behind them which can confirm their importance. To convince yourself or anyone else you must know how to respond with those reasons, examples, and show why it’s valuable.
10) Understand what an “expression of yourself” means – I have recently come across a great idea for finding your passion. That consists of everything that you can do which you want to represent who you truly are. Don’t do something that would embarrass you, go against your values and beliefs, or be based on money alone.
All of those things can lose importance in your life quickly. Instead, figure out what will be true about yourself and which isn’t likely to change as you improve. i.e. helping other people who are less fortunate, ignorant, or confused and frustrated.
Obviously this is a guide I want you to have and to use so that you can get started as quickly and easily as possible. There is so much more I can include but I am losing some of the focus I had when I started writing this out. From time to time I will update the entire thing which means you will want to check back and see what’s new.
Let me know if you have any difficulty or need more clarification on something.